Friday, November 19, 2010

first stop ... home

After signing the papers and making the purchase official on Friday October 29th, we decided that the traffic was too scary around West Chester, PA at rush hour, plus we wanted to try and get her up the driveway for the first time in daylight with friends and neighbors to help.  So we decided to leave her there and come back on Sunday for a more leisurely trip home.  It is a long drive from Bloomsbury New Jersey but we finally got there, bought some lunch at the local super market, and ate our lunch in our new coach. At the last minute, I decided to hook the Durango up to the coach.  Why shouldn't Kathy enjoy the first drive in the coach along with me?  I took the video of the instructions with us, just in case we forgot something.  It was really pretty easy to hook up, and then we were on our way home!

The trip home was mostly uneventful.  With having to keep track of 39 feet behind me, plus however much longer the Durango is, kept me in the right hand lane for most of the trip.  So when this woman on her cell phone was trying to merge into my lane while I was in it, I leaned on the hadley horns (glad we got that option) until she looked up in surprise to see that I wasn't going to move out of her way.  The trip through the toll boths was not a big deal but it was quite a tight fit.  We were almost home travelling on I78 when I turned to Kathy and asked if the U-Haul in front of us who had stuff that looked like it was ready to fall out, looked suddenly worse than it did a few minutes ago.  I immediately slowed down, and a good thing too.  Sheets of what looked like metal started sliding out and flipping up all over the Interstate.  By this point I had pulled off the road, as we watched people slam on their brakes and swerving around these obstacles.  No accidents, and no one hurt, so it all ended well.  We finally pulled back into traffic after it eased up, and finished the drive home.

When we arrived, my friend Tom, and a couple of neighbors stopped by to help direct me up the driveway, and get the beast turned around and placed on the outside part of the island.  The coach faired pretty well, and I only made one error where I got the back tires in dirt and caused a bit of a rut.  I filled it in later, so no worse for wear.

I am so glad we can park in our driveway.  It makes it so much easier figuring out what to store in it, try things out before going on our first trip without having to travel a few miles down the road to an RV campground.  Plus I was able to spend an hour here and there until I finally removed all the pieces of the bunk beds.  It is now ready for the new office furniture.  We ordered a desk and accessories from Versa and hope that it comes before we leave for Bella Terra in Gulf Shores, Alabama for the winter.  Kathy made reservations for us from the end of December until the end of February.

dining and entertainment

No comments:

Post a Comment